LCBO Penetanguishene, Ontario
Penetanguishene LCBO Address:
Penetanguishene LCBO Hours:
Penetanguishene LCBO Phone: (705) 549-2526
Is the Penetanguishene LCBO open tomorrow?
The Penetanguishene LCBO location is open from 10:00 a.m. to 6:00 p.m every day except on Sundays when it opens at 11:00 a.m and closes at 6:00 p.m and Fridays it open at 10:00 a.m and closes at 9:00 p.m. Customers should use the shop locator feature to see whether their local store hours have changed. It’s possible that an LCBO store will close unexpectedly or change its hours and/or days of operation
Where is the LCBO in Penetanguishene?
- Driving Directions From Rotary Park – Beach Area
- Penetanguishene, ON L9M 1N1
- Head northeast toward Water St 91 m
- Turn left onto Water St 550 m
- Turn right onto Main St
- Destination will be on the right 500 m
- Penetanguishene LCBO
- 2 Poyntz St Unit 116, Penetanguishene, ON
History of Penetanguishene LCBO
The Liquor Control Board of Ontario is a Crown organization that retails and distributes alcoholic drinks across Ontario, Canada. The minister of finance is responsible to the Legislative Assembly. It was founded in 1927 by Premier George Howard Ferguson’s government to sell liquor, wine, and beer. In 1916, as part of Canada’s prohibition, such sales were openly prohibited. The establishment of the LCBO signalled a loosening of the province’s temperance laws. The LCBO had 651 liquor outlets as of September 2017.
For nearly a century after its founding, the LCBO had a “quasi-monopoly” on the sale of alcoholic beverages in Ontario: for the most part, LCBO stores were the only retail outlets licensed to sell alcohol in Ontario, with the notable exceptions of beer (The Beer Store had a quasi-monopoly on retailing beer for most of this period) and a few wine shops, which had once been rogue. Many of these independent establishments were on-site at vineyards, breweries, or distilleries, and Wine Shop and Wine Rack locations were frequently found within grocery stores. The LCBO’s quasi-monopoly status made it the world’s largest purchasers of alcoholic beverages because Ontario is Canada’s most populous province, with over 13 million people, or about 40% of the country’s population.
Penetanguishene has several light industrial businesses mainly dealing with plastic and aluminum containers, though CCL which makes aluminum containers announced the closing of its facilities in 2013. It is host to the Central North Correctional Centre. In addition there is the Waypoint Centre for Mental Health Care which includes a high security forensic psychiatric unit for people declared to be not criminally responsible for dangerous offences but considered unsafe to be allowed in the community.
The historic naval and military base (now called Discovery Harbour) near Penetanguishene is open to visitors. There are reconstructed buildings from the historic Penetanguishene Naval Yard and two replica sailing ships from the 1812 period, HMS Bee and HMS Tecumseth (c. 1994). The ships no longer sail with passengers but they may be visited in the harbour. The original HMS Tecumseth was raised in 1953 and preserved at a nearby display area.
The King’s Wharf Theatre located at Discovery Harbour has a programme of popular plays and musicals every summer.
There are two notable and historic churches located in Penetanguishene. The oldest is St. James on-the-Lines, a small wooden Anglican church built in 1836 to serve the military garrison and civilian population. The most prominent is the large limestone Roman Catholic church named St. Anne’s. Originally named “Ste Anne’s Jesuit Memorial Church: Canadian National Shrine”, it is sometimes referred to today as the “Cathedral of the North”. The Church was constructed between 1886 and 1902 by pastor Theophile Francis Laboureau. Laboureau secured major funding for the church from the Bishops of Rouen and Normandy in France as well as the governments of England, France and the United States. As it serves a bilingual Catholic community, services are held in both French and English.