LCBO Collingwood, Ontario
Collingwood LCBO Address:
1 First St, Collingwood, ON L9Y 1A1
Collingwood LCBO Hours:
Collingwood LCBO Phone:
Is the Collingwood LCBO open tomorrow?
The Collingwood LCBO locations are open from 10:00 a.m. to 9:00 or 10:00 p.m. Except on Sundays at 6:00 p.m. Customers should use the shop locator feature to see whether their local store hours have changed. It’s possible that an LCBO store will close unexpectedly or change its hours and/or days of operation
Where is the LCBO in Collingwood?
- From Living Water Resort & Spa, 9 Harbour St E, Collingwood, ON L9Y 5B5
- Head southeast toward Harbour St E 77 m
- Continue onto Harbour St E 260 m
- Turn left onto Balsam St/Harbour St E 96 m
- Turn left onto ON-26 E 850 m
- Use the left 2 lanes to turn left onto First St/ON-26 E Destination will be on the left
- LCBO in Collingwood, 1 First St, Collingwood, ON L9Y 1A1
History of Collingwood LCBO
The Liquor Control Board of Ontario is a Crown organization that retails and distributes alcoholic drinks across Ontario, Canada. The minister of finance is responsible to the Legislative Assembly. It was founded in 1927 by Premier George Howard Ferguson’s government to sell liquor, wine, and beer. In 1916, as part of Canada’s prohibition, such sales were openly prohibited. The establishment of the LCBO signalled a loosening of the province’s temperance laws. The LCBO had 651 liquor outlets as of September 2017.
For nearly a century after its founding, the LCBO had a “quasi-monopoly” on the sale of alcoholic beverages in Ontario: for the most part, LCBO stores were the only retail outlets licensed to sell alcohol in Ontario, with the notable exceptions of beer (The Beer Store had a quasi-monopoly on retailing beer for most of this period) and a few wine shops, which had once been rogue. Many of these independent establishments were on-site at vineyards, breweries, or distilleries, and Wine Shop and Wine Rack locations were frequently found within grocery stores. The LCBO’s quasi-monopoly status made it the world’s largest purchasers of alcoholic beverages because Ontario is Canada’s most populous province, with over 13 million people, or about 40% of the country’s population.
Collingwood was created in 1858, nine years before the Confederacy, and is named after Lord Nelson’s second-in-command at the Battle of Trafalgar, Admiral Cuthbert Collingwood, who gained command of the British fleet after Nelson’s death.
Hurontario, Nottawa, and Hens-and-Chickens Harbour (due to the existence of one large and four little islands in the harbour), were among the other names given to the area.
Collingwood’s harbour became a shipping centre for commodities going for Chicago and Port Arthur-Fort William on the upper Great Lakes after the Ontario, Simcoe & Huron (later known as the Northern) Railway arrived in 1855. (now Thunder Bay). It wasn’t long before an organized shipbuilding industry formed as a result of the demand for ship repairs produced by shipping. On May 24, 1883, Collingwood Shipyards, originally Collingwood Dry Dock Shipbuilding and Foundry Company Limited, held a unique opening ceremony. On September 12, 1901, the Huronic, Canada’s first steel-hulled ship, was launched in Collingwood. During WWII, the shipyards contributed to the construction of corvettes for the Royal Canadian Navy. Shipbuilding was one of the most prominent industries in town, employing up to 10% of the workforce. However, due to overseas competition and overcapacity in Canada, shipbuilding in Collingwood was shut down in September 1986.