LCBO Meaford, Ontario
Meaford LCBO Address:
Meaford LCBO Hours:
Meaford LCBO Phone:
Is the Meaford LCBO open tomorrow?
The Meaford LCBO location is open from 10:00 a.m. to t 6:00 p.m every day. Customers should use the shop locator feature to see whether their local store hours have changed. It’s possible that an LCBO store will close unexpectedly or change its hours and/or days of operation
Where is the LCBO in meaford?
- Driving Directions from Centreville
- Head east on ON-26 E toward Ford Ave 1.0 km
- Slight right onto Cook St 700 m
- Turn left onto Grey Rd 12
- Destination will be on the right 91 m
- Meaford LCBO
- 31 Nelson St, Meaford, ON N4L 1A5
History of meaford LCBO
The Liquor Control Board of Ontario is a Crown organization that retails and distributes alcoholic drinks across Ontario, Canada. The minister of finance is responsible to the Legislative Assembly. It was founded in 1927 by Premier George Howard Ferguson’s government to sell liquor, wine, and beer. In 1916, as part of Canada’s prohibition, such sales were openly prohibited. The establishment of the LCBO signalled a loosening of the province’s temperance laws. The LCBO had 651 liquor outlets as of September 2017.
For nearly a century after its founding, the LCBO had a “quasi-monopoly” on the sale of alcoholic beverages in Ontario: for the most part, LCBO stores were the only retail outlets licensed to sell alcohol in Ontario, with the notable exceptions of beer (The Beer Store had a quasi-monopoly on retailing beer for most of this period) and a few wine shops, which had once been rogue. Many of these independent establishments were on-site at vineyards, breweries, or distilleries, and Wine Shop and Wine Rack locations were frequently found within grocery stores. The LCBO’s quasi-monopoly status made it the world’s largest purchasers of alcoholic beverages because Ontario is Canada’s most populous province, with over 13 million people, or about 40% of the country’s population.
Meaford is a municipality in Grey County, Ontario, Canada. Meaford is located on Nottawasaga Bay, a sub-basin of Georgian Bay and Owen Sound Bay, in the traditional territory of the Saugeen Ojibway Nation in southern Ontario. The municipality’s seal and motto reflect its heritage as a place of apple orchards, but in the 21st century the area has partly switched to weekend homes, seasonal homes, and lakeside tourism.
The Canadian Army maintains a training facility, 4th Canadian Division Training Centre Meaford (4 CDTC), 5 kilometres (3.1 mi) northwest of the town of Meaford.
In 1837, when this area was part of the St. Vincent Township, locals asked the government for a piece of land at the mouth of the Bighead River. The first settler was from Ireland, before the townsite was laid out by Charles Rankin in 1845 and called Meaford. By then, a sawmill and gristmill were already operating nearby; the post office there was called St. Vincent. Meaford saw little growth until 1850 but then began booming; it had a library by 1856.
Meaford had for early names Peggy’s Landing and Stephenson’s Landing.
The post office was renamed Meaford in 1865, after the birthplace of John Jervis, 1st Earl of St Vincent, for whom the township of St. Vincent is named; by then, the community was booming and had connection by steamship and roads with the railway at Collingwood. The community became a town in 1874.
In 1872, there were six churches; the railway arrived at Meaford, serving its population of 1700. By the early 1880s, Meaford boasted three planing mills, three carriage factories, two tanneries, a sawmill, a shingle mill, a woollen mill, two foundries, two flour mills, a dozen general stores, and a wide range of other stores and tradesmen. The community also had ten hotels. A public school was added in 1868 with 152 students within a year. A high school was opened in 1890.