LCBO owen sound, Ontario
Owen Sound LCBO Address:
Owen Sound LCBO Hours:
Is the Owen sound LCBO open tomorrow?
The Owen Sound LCBO locations are open from 10:00 a.m. to 9:00 or 10:00 p.m. Except on Sundays at 6:00 p.m. Customers should use the shop locator feature to see whether their local store hours have changed. It’s possible that an LCBO store will close unexpectedly or change its hours and/or days of operation
Where is the LCBO in owen sound?
- Driving Directions from Kelso Beach Park
- 2nd Avenue West, Owen Sound, ON N4K 2H4
- Head north toward Grey Rd 1 38 m
- Turn left toward Grey Rd 1 51 m
- Turn left onto Grey Rd 1 750 m
- Continue onto 2nd Ave W 700 m
- Turn left onto 10th St E/ON-21 N/ON-6 S 1.4 km
- Turn left onto ON-26 E 500 m
- Turn right to stay on ON-26 E
- Destination will be on the left 41 m
- Owen Sound
- LCBO 1613 9th Ave E, Owen Sound, ON N4K 3G5
History of owen sound LCBO
The Liquor Control Board of Ontario is a Crown organization that retails and distributes alcoholic drinks across Ontario, Canada. The minister of finance is responsible to the Legislative Assembly. It was founded in 1927 by Premier George Howard Ferguson’s government to sell liquor, wine, and beer. In 1916, as part of Canada’s prohibition, such sales were openly prohibited. The establishment of the LCBO signalled a loosening of the province’s temperance laws. The LCBO had 651 liquor outlets as of September 2017.
For nearly a century after its founding, the LCBO had a “quasi-monopoly” on the sale of alcoholic beverages in Ontario: for the most part, LCBO stores were the only retail outlets licensed to sell alcohol in Ontario, with the notable exceptions of beer (The Beer Store had a quasi-monopoly on retailing beer for most of this period) and a few wine shops, which had once been rogue. Many of these independent establishments were on-site at vineyards, breweries, or distilleries, and Wine Shop and Wine Rack locations were frequently found within grocery stores. The LCBO’s quasi-monopoly status made it the world’s largest purchasers of alcoholic beverages because Ontario is Canada’s most populous province, with over 13 million people, or about 40% of the country’s population.
Owen Sound (2016 Census population 21,341), the county seat of Grey County, is a city in the northern area of Southwestern Ontario, Canada. Owen Sound is located at the mouths of the Pottawatomi and Sydenham Rivers on an inlet of Georgian Bay.
The primary tourist attractions are the many waterfalls within a short drive of the town.
The area around the upper Great Lakes has been home to the Ojibwe people since prehistory. In 1815, William Fitzwilliam Owen surveyed the area and named the inlet after his older brother Admiral Edward Owen. A settlement called “Sydenham” was established in 1840 or 1841 by Charles Rankin in an area that had been inhabited by First Nations people. John Telfer settled here at that time and others followed. By 1846, the population was 150 and a sawmill and gristmill were operating. The name Sydenham continued even as the community became the seat for Grey County in 1852.
An Ontario historical plaque explains that a First Nations Band, led by Chief Newash had a reserve in the area totalling about 11,000 acres (45 km2; 4,500 ha). In 1842, they established the village of Newash which initially contained fourteen log houses, a school and a barn; the population was served by Wesleyan Methodist missionaries. In 1857, the government took over the reserve area and moved most of the Chippewa inhabitants of Newash to the Cape Croker Hunting Ground 60B reserve north of Owen Sound.
Over the years, Owen Sound was a major port best known for its taverns The community acquired names as the Chicago of the North, Corkscrew City, and Little Liverpool because of its rowdy reputation. Supporting this reputation was a tavern named “Bucket of Blood”, located on the corner of an intersection known as “Damnation Corners”, because of taverns on all four corners, but this location was also only a block away from an intersection with four churches called “Salvation Corners”.